Friday, November 13, 2009

And the mother of the year award goes to...

Despite my best efforts my mothering skills have been a little lacking lately. It isn't that I haven't been trying I just haven't been watching the little details (did I mention this is the story of my life - small print - what small print???)

ANYWAY, first there was the day of dance camp the girls participated in which concluded with a mini recital of their new dance moves. I didn't see said recital because I failed to read the part of the info sheet which said "come at 1:00 for the dance review". I walked in the door to two crying children who were heart broken because their mother was not in attendance at the dance party and EVERY OTHER MOTHER IN THE WORLD WAS THERE. It was all very dramatic and I felt like the worst mother in the world. On my way out the door another mom touched me on the shoulder and whispered in my ear "I missed it too". At least I wasn't REALLY the only mother in the world who did not make it to the show.


The following week the girls had a father/daughter dance. To prepare for the event and create a surprise for daddy we went on a little shopping trip and bought pretty party dresses and sparkly shoes. They were so excited. About ten minutes after leaving for the dance the HotY called, this was the conversation "you know the girls look very nice but did you know it was a hoe down?" Ummm no actually I did not know it was a hoe down. I failed to notice that little detail tucked at the bottom of the invitation. BUT I heard they were the best-dressed girls at the event :-)

Sooo all in all it hasn't been a stellar couple of weeks although I think I did redeem myself with a trip to the big mall in the big city. It was all about kids all day long. I haven't given up on winning that mother of the year award yet...

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh Angie, you are a great mother. Don't sweat those little things. The girls love you!

Shirley said...

Yup, what Amy said!