Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Parenting - it's a hard job...

UGH! Parenting. You would think I had never done this thing before but as I'm trying to guide my daughters through the trials and tribulations of second grade I am realizing how some things were soooo easy with Alex. His elementary school years included teachers and paras and counselors and parent advocates and case managers telling us what to do along the way. There was a plan and things pretty much went as planned - well until about fifth grade - but that's a different story for a different day. Anyway, with the girls it is MUCH different - seriously, I am winging it most days. I have no idea if I am doing the right things. I consider it a good day if I remember to sign papers and get folders into back packs (and really some days - it doesn't happen). I have to admit most days I feel like a failure as a parent. I actually let them skip dance every once in awhile, have candy after school for a snack and watch tv. If I was a real parent we'd have play dates and swimming parties and study time with apple slices and milk. I'm sure that is how it works in every other family - right??? So for today I'll just hope and pray that they grow up to be healthy, productive, well-adjusted adults. Did I say UGH already?

Sorry to be Debbie Downer tonight but I'm just feeling overwhelmed with life. I hope you understand.

Here's to a better day tomorrow...

1 comment:

Shirley said...

HUGS! Are you kidding?!?!? I'm with you in the boat for "bad" parent award then. Whatever. As long as the kids are healthy and happy and relatively smart, I consider it a job well done!