Sunday, November 7, 2010

Another parental decision that didn't turn out quite as planned...

Really, there are so many opportunities to make bad parental decisions that I don't really have to go out of my way to find them - but sometimes those decisions that you think are great - well sometimes bad happens before you even realize it.

Tonight is the perfect example - with a point on it. Every other Sunday night we have family movie night. We find a great family movie, dim the lights, find blankies and cuddle buddies, place the pop and popcorn within easy reach and settle in for whatever movie extravanza is on the agenda for the night. Usually it is a Disney movie, or Hannah Montana or Barbie or some other animated flick. This week I picked the movie and hyped it up all day long. Marly and me. A movie about a dog, a funny movie about a dog, a funny movie about a dog with a personality which too closely resembles a dog we all know and love (and I'm not exactly comfortable about that). I knew it had a sad ending but I assumed we could all deal with that. It's life, life happens, not every ending can be a happy ending. Little did I know it would be heart wrenching, openly sobbing, throat closing sad. And the best part of it all - bedtime was supposed to follow. It was an event - sobbing children and a dog, wet from the tears which were shed all over her shaggy coat. If it wasn't a Sunday night I'd be having a cocktail. Next movie night it's back to kids choice. But the dog - she's very happy - tonight she walks on water (the cat is really ticked off).

TTFN...

No comments: